Sunday, February 21, 2010

Settling In

The landscape of my life has changed.  I know this is true with any major life event, a birth, a death, a move, any sort of great loss or exciting addition.  Obviously my days (and nights) look somewhat different.  I forgot how much a change like that alters everything.

For the first several days everything felt surreal; I felt like I was living someone else's life.  I'm well aware that much of that can be attributed to sleep deprivation and hormones.  It wasn't really until Wednesday or Thursday that I started to feel like myself.  I suppose a week isn't that long to feel as though I'm getting back on track.

We are all settling in a bit more.  I've had a great deal of help which has made the adjustment easier.  My mother stayed for the first week - though I've wondered how much her leaving has to do with my feeling more like myself.  Chase has taken 2 weeks off work.  He's gone in for a bit most days, but I'll still have him home helping us all for another week.  Bless him.  He's been a huge help with Jordan.  As one could imagine, the adjustment is huge for her.  She's been the center of attention for the last 2+ years.  All of the sudden there is another little being who requires her parent's attention.  That's tough for a toddler.  We've been giving her plenty of one on one, but that doesn't negate the difficulty.  All in all she has behaved better than I hoped - aside from smacking the baby a time or two she's been remarkably loving.  She loves to hug and kiss and hold little Connor.


This was taken the day we came home from the hospital.  Within 5 minutes of meeting him she was ready to hug and pet him.  She started crying at the hospital when she thought we were leaving him behind.


The three of us last night.  She was rubbing his belly.


Again last night, with the addition of Chase.


Jordan and Connor after their respective baths.  Don't you love his robe?


Little Connor Lee with his eyes open.  He's lost a bit of weight since birth, over half a pound.  His face isn't quite so round as it was, but I've a feeling that'll change!

2 comments:

DJan said...

Oh Whitney, thanks for this post! I've been wondering how you are, and I must say these pictures are just wonderful. I'm glad your mom was there, but I know exactly what you mean about not feeling quite yourself in the face of all these people around. I myself was the oldest, and when my sister came along, I had a really hard time losing the limelight! First borne children are the only ones who ever have it all, and when it goes away, it's painful! Glad all is getting back to the new normal for you!

The Good Cook said...

What a beautiful baby. What a beautiful family!! Congrats. (ps. You look wonderful!!)