Thursday, February 4, 2010

Me, Sympathetic?

I really don't know what is with people this year.  It seems that so many of the people I know are having drama of some sort.  And they all seem content to dump on me.  I don't mind in the least, but I am puzzled.  I am not the type to pat people on the back and say 'there, there.'  There's a reason that my father refers to me as Cut 'Em Off At The Knees Whitney.  I tend to tell it like it is rather than doing the whole hand holding thing.  I don't mean to sound as though I'm without sympathy.  I simply have trouble listening to whining or repetitive self pity for any real length of time.  I typically feel that a person gets a certain amount of time to bemoan the fact that things aren't the way they'd like them to be and when that time is up it's time to deal with what actually is.

When my sister and I were younger my grandmother gave Ashley a puppy.  It was a 'just because' kind of gift.  I got nothing.  I was upset about this (understandable, I'd think, for a young kid).  I don't remember how old I was but know I was probably not more than 5 or 6.  Now, we had a swimming pool and the puppy drowned after Ashley had him only a few days.  Unaware that it was completely callous and inappropriate, I said, "Sure am glad I don't have a dog."  That's pretty much how I earned my sympathy badge.

Yesterday afternoon, after sopping up someone else's tears, I called my dad.  The initial conversation went a bit like this:

Me:  So, if you were having a tough time and really needed to cry on someone's shoulder about things,      would you call me? 

My Dad:  Is this Ashley or Whitney?

Me:  Exactly!  So why is everyone coming to me to vent or falling apart all over me lately? 

My dad went on to tell me that my tendency to tell people the truth rather than what they maybe wanted to hear garnered respect for my opinion.  Maybe he's right.  Or maybe it's just that I don't have an office job and am available pretty much anytime.  Who's to say?

On the less dramatic front, I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning.  I am getting closer though there's no way to really predict when I'll go into labor.  I'm starting to dilate (2 cm) and my cervix is thinning out (60+%).  Of course, I could walk around like this for the next 3 weeks or I could go into labor tomorrow.  I'd prefer to wait the 3 weeks...

My baby shower is set for Sunday afternoon.  Cross your fingers that it happens.  They are predicting some snow and ice for tomorrow and Saturday.  If we aren't able to have it this weekend I guess we'll end up having a 'Meet My New Kid' shindig.  The shower is at my mother in law's (she's been out of town for a month which is why we are having it so late), and she's decided if the roads are crummy then the husbands can drive their wives.  She said she'll just buy a bunch of beer and stick them in the basement with the pool table and the big screen TV.  I think it's a great idea.  I am looking forward to the shower because I'd love to have some girly time.  What have ya'll got planned for the weekend?

3 comments:

DJan said...

I went to the Flower Show yesterday, today we hiked 12 miles and up 3,000 feet, and tomorrow I work out at the Y and get my hair cut. I'm looking forward to getting back to my latest book and finished my sweater this weekend!

Whitney Lee said...

Good grief! I'd be looking forward to a nap! I'm going to strive to be as active as you are.

Stella Jones said...

It's a very exciting time Whitney and I wish you well with it. This weekend I finally hope to get out and do some window shopping. I've been stuck indoors at work and at home for weeks because of the weather and because I had a bad cough. Now, at last, I feel better and the weather has cheered up a bit so tomorrow is SHOPPING day. I doubt I'll buy much because money is short but I am really looking forward to looking "0" ")".
Blessings, Star