Chase goes back to work on Monday. That means that my new reality actually starts on Monday. I will be alone with both kids for the entire day for the first time. This fact is a bit daunting. Yes, I'm well aware that there are millions who have accomplished this task and that I am more than capable. That doesn't mean that I'm not apprehensive.
I have come to the conclusion that a great deal of my fear is based in wacky hormones. The last few days have me feeling a bit off kilter. Some of it can be attributed to sleep deprivation but the rest is what I'd term baby blues. I had postpartum depression with Jordan, and there are enough minor similarities to let me know that this is completely hormone related. I don't feel the detachment I felt with Jordan, but there is a bit of the reluctance/fear of being alone. I'm hoping that the act of verbalizing these feelings will help neutralize them.
I have to admit that Connor is doing a pretty good job of sleeping at night, which helps. With Jordan around I can't just nap when he naps. That's one of the biggest differences I'm facing. Fortunately Jordan doesn't seem resentful of the time I have to spend with Connor when I'm feeding or burping or calming him. I know that part of that is because Chase has been able to spend a great deal of time playing with her. That will change somewhat on Monday so we'll have to see if that alters her feelings any. I am aware that I'm going to have to neglect a number of housekeeping duties so that Jordan has plenty of my time and attention. I also know that this is only temporary; at some point we'll settle into a new routine.
I have to admit that I'm simply not good with change. It throws me off kilter. The last two major changes in my life necessitated the use of mind altering drugs. The first, my marriage and move to a new state, ended up with my self medicating with alcohol. The second, the birth of my daughter, required the use of mild anti-depressants while my hormones got back on track. Here I sit now, next to the third major change I've met in the last 8 years. Yes, I'm aware that this admission may make me sound a smidgen boring. Fortunately I'm okay with that! Actually I'm just one of those people to whom security is insanely important, and I equate continuity with security. I'm also aware that continuity and security are not synonymous.
Aside from my fears, which are no longer unspoken, I am doing pretty well. I have been able to do some things that make me feel more like myself (sadly enough this consists of laundry, cooking, and cleaning). I have also been able to spend some amazing quality time with Jordan. She is taking to being a big sister pretty well. She helps me burp the baby and always pulls her stool over to the changing table to watch us perform diaper duty. Yesterday morning when I was feeding Connor she came over with her doll and proceeded to try breastfeeding, complete with a dishtowel for burping! How I wish I'd had my camera within reach!
I hope everyone else is enjoying the last bits of winter, or perhaps the first hints of spring. I am looking forward to enough warmth to get outside with Jordan. I intend to put Connor in the sling and head outdoors to play as soon as we hit a warm day! A happy weekend to everyone:)
4 comments:
After spending a week with my grandchildren I will admit that I was pretty insecure when my daughter-in-law walked out the door and left me on my own Monday! By Thursday I was getting the routine down ...... then I came home! Hang in there and you will find your rhythm with this new song!
Hopefully blogging will help you through this period, but anyone who has ever seen postpartum depression knows it's real. Hormones are going nuts inside, but they WILL even out eventually. It's us mothers who have to do all the heavy lifting, though. If I were you, I would do whatever it takes, dear Whitney, because you now have your hands full to the brim! I'm glad you're writing to take us along the journey.
Just take each day as it comes and soon you will find you are in a nice little routine. Congratulations on the birth of your new baby. It is a wonderful event and a cause for celebration, not self doubt. Take care.
Blessings, Star
I agree with DJan. Blogging helps. Keeping this as your journal, and "venting" will be a big help to you. And try to get as much sleep as you can. Nap when you can, and sleep at night when you can. Sometimes the smaller chores can wait while you rest. Good luck to you. :-)
Post a Comment