Friday, November 13, 2009

Walk or Run


Believe it or not, I am getting up in the morning to walk a 5k. It's a walk or run deal to raise money for Habitat for Humanity and at six and a half months pregnant, I'm walking. Well, lets be honest here. Even if I were in the best shape of my life, I'd be walking. I am not, in any way, shape or form, a runner. Walking is an enjoyable activity that makes me feel more in tune and comfortable in my body. I know that's how others feel about running, but I'm not one of them.

Anyway, the 5k takes place on a local college campus. I'm not sure if it's true but was told it's voted one of most beautiful campuses in the United State, so the walk itself should be gorgeous. It's supposed to be relatively flat (thank goodness). I'm looking forward to doing something that's good for me and good for the community, but I'm not looking to scale a mountain.

My husband and daughter will still be piled up in bed when I leave in the morning. At least for his sake I hope she's still asleep. The last several days of rain combined with my cold have made for a bit of a wild child. On top of that I took her to get the H1N1 vaccine this morning which caused quite a bit of fussiness. Still, tomorrow is supposed to be pretty so they'll at least be able to go outside and release some of that toddler energy.

And I have to admit that although I feel a bit guilty about taking such a great walk without my furry love, it'll be a rare treat to walk without a dog or a stroller (or both).

2 comments:

DJan said...

What a good cause! But remember not to walk too fast, anaerobic exercise is not the point in pregnancy, but aerobic. If you can't talk while walking, you're going too fast. Or am I being too much of a worry wart?

Nancy said...

What a great thing to do for your community and for yourself. I know mom's always feel guilty about leaving someone behind - but you have to do something for yourself sometimes, too. Just take it easy and quit if you are feeling tired. Sorry, I'm just a mother at heart... :-)