Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quote this

I love words. I love the way they can be strung together so many different ways to mean so many different things. I love the way I can read something and my heart sighs, saying 'I felt that but didn't know how to phrase it.'
I love books. They are the doorway into other worlds. They offer laughter, learning, insight, escape...
That said, I love books of quotes. I own several of them. For some odd reason I copy quotes that are particularly striking into a journal. When I am looking for inspiration or a particular sentiment I tend to turn to those journals. I just went to the book store and picked up a new book; I'm so excited to read it and discover new thoughts. I just never know when I'm going to read a quote that sends me off on some sort of mental tangent or open a door to a new path of learning.
Here are some of my favorites.

Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.
Lucille Ball

The first problem for all of us men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.
Gloria Steinem

Things do not change, we do.
Thoreau

If you can't make it better you can laugh at it.
Erma Bombeck (this may well be the motto my sister and I live by)

The obstacle is the path.
Zen aphorism

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.
William Arthurward

I may not have gone where I intended to go , but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
Douglas Adams

Granted, these are but a handful of quotes when I have hundreds that I love. Still, it's a taste of what I use for inspiration.
What are your favorite quotes?


1 comment:

DJan said...

What absolutely wonderful quotes. I love them all... a couple of my favorites:

That love is that there is
Is all we know of Love (Emily Dickinson)

I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened. (Mark Twain)

The deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. (Kahlil Gibran)

These are my principles. If you don't like them, well, I have others. (Groucho Marx)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. (Helen Keller)