Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Last time around

I was a size two when I got pregnant. I was happy, active, and enjoyed my part time job. I did have a bit of a snafu at the time, though. Around the same time I got pregnant I had my second grand mal seizure. I had almost reached the 6 month mark after the first one. Because they didn't know what the cause was and because it was my second seizure, they put me on medication. It didn't take me long to realize that my extreme sleepiness was caused by more than the new medicine. My doctors decided to leave me on the medicine; they thought that if there was danger to the fetus from it then it was already too late. Whatever was going to happen was going to happen.
Well what happened is that the medicine, combined with the hormones, made me mean as hell. No one wanted to be around me. I didn't want to be around me! Work began to suck (I was very sneakily and slickly phased out) and I quit my job. About halfway through the pregnancy I was put on modified bed rest. So I ate and slept. I became a very hefty bitch. I couldn't move around much because my legs were so swollen so I really didn't have a way to work off all the crap I ate. It was horrific. And yet I want to do it all again.
It was deemed safe enough to stop the medicine at the time of delivery so that I could breast feed. My neurologist said he figured I was fine to not get back on the medicine. Nice sentiment but ultimately untrue. Nearly four months to the day after delivery I had another seizure. Again unexplainable. So I am back on the medicine.
When we went to see the doctor I asked him how long I would need to take the meds; his response was 2-5 years. Well, la di da. I didn't want to wait 2-5 years to have a second child. So we went ahead and set up a plan for my next conception. Stop taking the medicine about a month before I want to get pregnant, get pregnant right on time, make it through the first trimester (when all of the neurological development occurs), and resume my meds. Well, believe it or not, we've managed to accomplish the first half of that plan. Hoorah!
This time around I am going to do things quite differently. I am not going to eat everything in sight. I am not going to be a raging bitch (I hope). I don't have the option of not moving around; I have a very active toddler. It took me about a year and a half to get close to my pre-prenancy weight. It would be really nice if I could gain no more than the prescribed 25-35 lbs. So here's to hoping I continue to feel as good as I do now and that I remain seizure free for the next few months...

No comments: