Monday, June 29, 2009

A Fetish Has to Start Somewhere

My daughter loves shoes. She adores them. She has never been attached to a paci or a blankie or a particular stuffed animal. For her, it's shoes. When she gets up in the morning I change her diaper and get her dressed. If I fail to put her shoes on her she will cry. She'll stand and look at where I keep her shoes, pointing and crying until I hurry over to rectify my oversight.
At night, after she's got her pajamas on, she wants to put her shoes on. She doesn't seem to care that her shoes don't fit well over her footed p.j.'s, she simply wants to wear them. She wears them in the water as well. She actually got out of the inflatable pool to put her shoes on and then got back in. She and I recently went to a lake with a beach area and she seemed perturbed that I was barefoot; she kept handing me my flip flops.
When I take her places she will point out her shoes to people. They'll say 'hi' and she looks at her feet and points as if to say, "Pleasantries will have to wait; do you see my shoes?" She will repeat this with each person she sees. She doesn't stop with just her shoes, though. She is an equal opportunity shoe lover. If you are watching her you can see her check new people out-shoes first. Her little eyes drop to a person's feet, then travel upward. It's hysterical. If she is particularly impressed she will often bend down and touch your shoes, her own little pat of approval.
She watches her father and I closely. If we take our shoes off she is quick to pick out a different pair and bring them to us. God forbid we actually be without shoes. And if anyone leaves their shoes lying around the house they become fair game.
She and I are going round and round about a few things lately. We are having trouble finding a method of discipline that works. I keep thinking I may have to start taking her shoes away...

No comments: