Friday, June 12, 2009

Grab the belt

I'm seriously struggling with the discipline aspect of parenting. When things are going well I have all these fantastic intentions and great ideas. Then she loses her ability to hear me or listens to what I say and just smiles, waves and ignores me and all of my parenting intentions fly out the window. I want to turn her over my knee and smack her, I want to stick her in the corner with her hands tied to her sides, I want to walk out the door and not come back for a while. ARGGGGHHH!
Okay, deep breath. It's infuriating and yet I know I'll be fine. And we will get through this without my running away from home or resorting to child abuse. Because I'll admit, there are times when either option is appealing.
Okay, enough bitching. I just had to vent. I think the biggest problem is that I'm running out of ideas. I guess I can keep doing the same things I'm doing and hope that at some point she realizes that it is punishment. Right now I'm having difficulty getting her to listen to me when she doesn't realize that time out is punishment for not listening to me. When I'm not so frustrated I admire her sunshiny spirit and her persistence. When it's time for discipline they are major roadblocks. Still, she is her own little person with her own personality. We'll get through this. One day at a time.

No comments: