Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fathers' Day

I was curious so I looked up the history of this holiday. The idea was conceived a hundred years ago and several times it was proposed by presidents and to government and yet it was not officially recognized until 1972. Pretty slack, wouldn't you say? It makes me think that all those 1950's families, the icons of familial perfection, must not have been all that...not if the men couldn't be properly appreciated. Just a joke.
Actually, while I love some of the sentiments to be found in the aisles of Hallmark, I'm not a huge fan of Mothers' & Fathers' Days. I appreciate the thought behind the holidays, I simply hate the commercialization of them. And I hate that people need to be reminded to thank their parents. Can't people simply tell their folks they love them throughout the year? Or not. I understand that not everyone has much to be thankful for, outside the gift of life. But for those of us who happen to have been blessed with loving parents, can't we pull ourselves away from our own lives long enough to express some appreciation without media/commercial prompting?
My husband and his siblings typically present a gift certificate and card to their father each year for Fathers' Day, often early or late because they don't actually see him on that day. Because we have picked most of the branches on the money tree clean, and because the nature of the holiday seems to suggest spending time together, I suggested we all actually get together this year and celebrate. Nothing fancy and no presents. Just three terrific fathers and their (hopefully) appreciative families. A little food, a little laughter, a lot of love.
I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. How are ya'll spending the day?

No comments: