Monday, December 22, 2008

Productivity

Where does the need for productivity arise? Is it a personality trait? Is it a learned behavior? Is it a cultural situation? I only wonder because I'm a homemaker, and I don't feel as though my day has been successful unless I've been productive. What am I forsaking in my quest for clean floors and whiter whites? Does it matter if my laundry room is organized or the living room dust free? There's a part of me that is supremely satisfied when I've run all of my errands and completed all of my chores yet there is another part of me that resents the need to set my daughter aside in order to accomplish all of that. I guess the question is how to find the balance between the two roles. And then I wonder, if I, as a happy homemaker, feel this conflicted then how must career moms feel?

No comments: