What is it about music? It has the ability to shift my emotions like nothing else. A single song can pull me up out of a self absorbed funk or push me down into one of the tragedies of my past with one simple lyric. And it isn't as if it causes a thought to cross my mind and then I'm back on track. Oh no, it's not that simple. One line can send me back to my past and it can take days for my mind to let go (again) of certain people and places in time.
I wonder what the trigger is...is it a lyric? Is it a melody. And how in the world can I listen to particular songs and feel nostalgic, or melancholy, or inspired, or empowered? There are certain songs out there that bring tears to my eyes every single time I hear them, no matter how often that may be. Does music have this effect on everyone? Or is it only those who have such a passion, such an affinity for music and for the power of words?
Or is it possibly that I am such a self contained person that music strikes a chord in me that is part appreciation and part recognition? Perhaps music speaks for me when I have ceased to find a way to speak for myself. For there are times when I feel as if I don't somehow express myself my bottled up emotions and my backlog of words may begin to seep out my pores. And perhaps I don't explode so much as I implode...and get lost somehow inside. And the music sets all of those emotions and memories free. Hmmm...something to ponder.
No comments:
Post a Comment