Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sometimes it's not so easy

We are having an interesting week.  By interesting I mean sleep deprived.  Connor has been having screaming gas episodes the last couple of days.  It's almost as much fun as it sounds.  I've been able to get to sleep about 2 AM the last two nights, only to get up again around 5 to feed him.  After an hour of that, I've been able to go back to sleep until 8-ish.  With all of this sleep I can't figure out where my coping skills have slithered off to...


Actually, this morning I got the opportunity to sleep until almost 9.  I got almost 5 hours of sleep last night. Which is pretty fantastic, considering.  Considering what, you ask?  Well, when I came back inside after taking Cody out, Jordan was standing at the door to her room with her hands on the baby gate.  Naked.  Crying.  Telling me she had peed.  Had this happened before my 5 hours of sleep I might have been a smidgen upset.  As it was, I was able to clean up the mess with a minimum of fuss and no more crying.  Thank goodness.

Anyone who claims that being a stay at home mom isn't a real job better steer clear for the next couple of years.  I may just skewer them with my mop.  Or suffocate them with a pile of dirty diapers.  Or torture them with hours of a screaming gassy baby and whiny toddler.  My children are damn lucky I love them.  Days like the last couple make it clear that sometimes it's love alone that keeps us near...

Clearly I need some quiet time!  Does this bring back memories?


The fussy toddler before she was fussy.

1 comment:

DJan said...

Well, you could look at it this way: he's got a really healthy set of lungs! That's a great picture of the two of them, I think. Was Jordan like that when she was that age? What makes you so sure it's gas? And every time I see a picture of Conner, I think he's bigger...

Think of it this way: potty training a toddler, breast feeding a cranky newborn, all the stuff that is entailed to maintain this household, AND doing it without sleep. It takes its toll, no question. Here's a big virtual hug coming your way across the blogosphere.