Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ain't it Amazing!

I feel like a new person.  Yes, I am still unshowered at one o'clock in the afternoon.  Yes, I have managed to do nothing more than brush my teeth today.  Yes, I'm still in my p.j.'s and have a lovely spit up stain on my shoulder.  Here's the biggie though; I got sleep!  Nearly a full eight hours of shut eye last night.  It is cause enough for celebration.

Connor has been incredibly gassy the last few nights.  Those of you who are parents remember how it goes.  First the face contorts.  Then the belly gets tight.  Next comes the screams and flailing limbs.  This is what has been happening about an hour after eating but only during the afternoon and evening feedings.  Odd, to say the least.  It happens regardless of whether he eats breast milk or formula.  Mylicon drops don't have any effect whatsoever.  We have tried walking, bouncing, swaddling, swinging, and shushing.  When we pump his legs we get lots of lovely sound effects but no relief from the screams.  Still, all of this is somewhat bearable during waking hours but becomes torturous after midnight.

I was bemoaning my sleepless state yesterday while sitting next to my neighbor watching our kids play.  She is the one who suggested I try gripe water.  Huh?  For those who don't know, it's an all natural herbal remedy that purports to help relieve the symptoms of colicy and hiccupy babies.  I was ready to walk across the yard and kiss my neighbor this morning.  I feel that good.  I don't know if last night was a fluke or not.  I'm praying not but will have a better idea tomorrow.  Say a little prayer that we all get some more sleep tonight!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so happy for you. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. Rejoice:)

DJan said...

Whoa! That is totally amazing. I'll be interested to know what happens tonight, and if this has fixed the problem, YAYY! For you AND for Connor.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sleep is a wonderful thing! I hope the remedy works. Babies are wonderful......except for the lack of sleep! My oldest dog Oscar has been having digestive issues lately and will only allow ME to take care of him. This involves me holding him in my arms while siiting up in bed. I know, not the same, but still interrupts my much needed sleep!

The Good Cook said...

Oh, how I remember those days... so glad you got 8 hours!! It is amazing how our bodies rejoice at sleep. When my youngest went through the gasy period I would drink camomile tea an hour or so before nursing him... it seemed to help!

Jo said...

Oh, goodness yes, gripe water...! My mother used to use it and so did it. It works wonders...!

Glad you're feeling better. :-)