I have a fantastic family. Let me give you a little background. My paternal grandmother had 5 boys that she mostly raised on her own. She divorced their father twice. To hear it told she also had a few boyfriends along the way, not to mention another husband or two. Still, while they were growing up it was mostly her, doing what needed to be done to feed and clothe 5 growing boys.The brothers have, for all of my recollections, been relatively close. I can remember them at all the major holidays, all the weddings and various life events. As time passed it was not just the brothers but their wives and children as well. As more time passed and their children grew older, the family drifted a bit. Everyone still kept in touch, but we saw one another less often. It seems to me that my parents were sort of the center of the family in that it was typically our town, our home that was opened for holidays and events. I'm sure part of this had to do with the fact that my grandmother lived in the same town as we did. Regardless, when my parents divorced everyone seemed to go their own way.
I've not seen my uncles or cousins much the last several years except at weddings. Two years ago my grandmother, a matriarch if there ever was one, passed away. The family gathered in Atlanta for the occasion. I was the only one who couldn't go because I'd just given birth. I guess it was then that all the cousins (there are 7 of us) decided that we would make more of an effort to spend time together. Thus our family cousin Thanksgiving get together was born.
We've just finished celebrating our 3rd cousin reunion. We are not opposed to uncles and aunts attending, but check family BS and such at the door! It's all about having fun, playing music, keeping in touch with family when it would be too easy to let it all slip through the cracks. I must admit, it's great fun and I'm always sorry to say goodbye. It's a wonderful reminder of what an incredible group of people we are, and it's fun to see the traits that we all share. We are all intelligent, quick witted, humorous, musical people. We tend to talk (a lot), often over and around others, and laugh at anything, particularly the painful. It's how we cope with the crumminess of life. I had such a wonderful time and was so very sorry to say goodbye. At the same time I was thrilled to be headed back to the comfort of my home and my routine. Anyone who travels knows that feeling...

My grandmother's rocking chair. It's been broken so cannot be used but sits in the corner. I like to think she is presiding over all the fun. This would be right up her alley.
The girl cousins, minus one. Left to right is me, my cousin Brittany, and my sister, Ashley.
This was Friday night after 2 more cousins arrived. Of course, the arrival of the only other cousins able to come this year had to be toasted! I, of course, stuck with my water.
Brittany has recently taken up the banjo. She and Ashley were discussing chord differences between the banjo and the guitar.

Jordan in her new princess outfit, playing drums. My baby is gonna be a drummer. She has gravitated towards this instrument since before her first birthday.
Left to right, Ashley, my oldest cousin Len, and Chase (my hubby). Len has purchased drums since our last trip and is actually doing quite well.
Somebody had waaaay too much fun. This occurred around midnight. She stayed just like that in the recliner until we all went to bed around 2 AM. She slept through the drumming, strumming and foot stomping. A very tired girl, indeed.
Chase and Brittany. The white ball on the table in front of them is some sort of microphone. Brittany set it up to record all of the music and such with the intention of editing out all the hoopla and providing us with a downloadable file of our musical happenings. Pretty darn cool.
On the left is Patrick, Brittany's younger brother. That's Chase with his back to me and Ashley on the right. Ashley is singing while Chase and Patrick play guitar. On the far right, beyond view, is Len playing drums.
See, here he is!
These were taken Sunday morning before we all hit the road. We are missing 2 cousins. One because she lives just across town and wasn't staying at the house, the other because he just had a baby (or rather, his wife did). I hope to have a picture of the 7 of us next year. Still, left to right, Me, Len, Ashley, Patrick, and Brittany. Aren't we pretty?
Here we are again, with spouses and children. The front row is not that much shorter; we are squatting a bit.

And, last but not least, Chase and me. I don't have many photos of just the two of us lately so I'm thrilled with this one. I'm also quite pleased that at 7 months I don't resemble a water buffalo.
Thank you for joining me!
4 comments:
What a totally wonderful journey through your family, and your super fabulous gathering. I love it that you are making your own stories, here on your blog, that will last for Jordan to show around when she's all grown up. And I notice she is definitely wearing her glasses more. Good banner picture of her!!! Thanks for sharing your life with me; I am honored...
Thanks for showing an interest; I'm thrilled:)
Jordan and I go for her check up tomorrow for her eyes so I'll let you know how that goes.
What a beautiful, delightful-looking family you have! And you look fabulous - not even the suggestion of a water buffalo. When is your baby due?
This was lovely. Family can be so comforting (except when it isn't.:) Thanks for sharing!
Heartinsanfrancisco, thank you. I am so pleased not to be huge this go 'round:)
You are so right about family; I'm dealing with a bit of both at the moment!
Post a Comment