Thursday, September 24, 2009

Was that a Steamroller?

I have been going fast and furious for the last week, and it all caught up with me last night. I had trouble just dragging myself out of bed this morning, though of course I didn't have a choice. Once we moved Jordan into a toddler bed I purchased a baby gate to keep her in her room. This was because she kept coming in and getting us up at increasingly earlier hours. The gate has gotten her back on track and she's now back to sleeping her usual 12 hours a night instead of 9. When she wakes up in the morning she usually gets out of bed and starts playing. Because she's not terribly quiet I hear her as soon as this happens. It serves as a wake up call for me should I still be piled up in bed. This morning I awoke to the sounds of her keeping her new baby doll (now named Dolly) in line. Her sweet little voice happily yelling, "No! NO!! Go! GO!!" At least I woke up with a smile, despite feeling like I'd been flattened by large machinery in my sleep.

Before I got out of bed I placed my hands on my belly. It's part of my morning routine. I cradle my womb and say good morning to Peanut. It's amazing how much the landscape of my body is changing. Aside from the rather obvious swelling of my breasts and belly, I noticed how thin my skin is becoming. Or rather, how prominent my veins are becoming. Perhaps a combination of the two? If I look closely I can trace the veins from my collar bone down. It's odd.

The only new symptom of pregnancy that I could do without is sciatica. I never went through any problem of this sort with my first pregnancy (although I had a host of other issues). Fortunately it's not a constant, and there are some things that seem to make it worse that I've begun to avoid. The pain in my lower back and buttock are, understandably, worse at the end of the day. There are times I am forced to slip into the waddle and bending seen primarily in late pregnancy. Ah well, it won't be all that long before that is the only way I can move! I might as well embrace it now if it keeps me from hurting.

I am pretty much at the halfway mark; come Monday I'll be 19 weeks along. I need to get my husband to take a photo to show just how much I'm showing. Tuesday morning we go to get the ultrasound. Assuming that Peanut cooperates we should know just what we are expecting (other than a bundle of joy). I still feel like Peanut is a he while my husband thinks it's a she. Hopefully by the end of the ultrasound we'll know!

I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend!

2 comments:

DJan said...

Whitney, thank you so much for following my blog. I have to admit that I am reliving my younger years vicariously through you. I remember being pregnant, I remember being the the mother of a beautiful baby boy, and then the mother of another one 2 1/2 years later. So I truly follow your blog a little guiltily, like I shouldn't be so interested in your life. But then I think to myself, well, SHE'S the one on here! And I'm definitely a faithful follower! Thanks for the frequent updates. I hope (for me) that you've got a girl in there because I never had any. But Bundle of Joy 2 will be great, whatever!

TheChicGeek said...

How exciting! I remember those days...so much fun!
Enjoy each and every minute...remember, one day they will be teenagers....Yikes! LOL

Have a Wonderful Weekend!