Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Eye Update II

It is confirmed; Jordan has what is called Accommodative Esotropia. It is a type of Strabismus (crossed eyes). Hers is caused by far sightedness. The eye crosses to compensate for her poor vision.

Other than shining lights in/at her eyes and checking the response, there wasn't much to the eye exam. Because she is too young to give any feedback on her vision they used dilation to check what her glasses prescription needed to be. They also wanted to check the optic nerve and whatnot but didn't think that was her problem. Apparently all of that looks good.

The fix for her eye is glasses. This should straighten the eye but is not a temporary form of therapy. She likely will have to wear corrective lenses for this problem from here on. The doctor said that when she takes the glasses off the eye will cross again.

The information we were given states the this form of strabismus is common and usually occurs in children 2 and older.

I feel better knowing what exactly we are dealing with. I do hate that she's going to have to start wearing glasses now. I expected her to need glasses at some point because my husband and I are both nearsighted, but I assumed she'd be in school before that was necessary. I was really hoping that if she did need glasses it would only be for a little while and that they would 'fix' the eye. Other than that disappointment, I'm happy with the diagnosis. This is not anything major and likely won't require surgery. Although I wish I had asked if surgery could eliminate this problem. It's not something I would want to do now, but it would be nice to know if it is an option at some point. Oh well, we go back in a couple of months and I can ask about it then.

I did ask if there were any tips they had as to how to get Jordan to actually wear the glasses. They said that often children will wear the glasses simply because they were able to see with them. They also said that because Jordan is not horribly far sighted she might fall into the group of kids that don't want to wear the glasses because the difference is not as extreme. It would be just my luck for Jordan to be one of those kids...If that is the case I can go and pick up some drops that will cause her vision to be blurry unless she wears the glasses. They told me I can use these as a training tool. Lordy, I hope I don't have to do that!

After her appointment we took her prescription and went and ordered her some completely adorable glasses. If I could remember the brand of frames we got I would post a picture. I guess you'll just have to wait until next week to see how darlin' she is in her pinkish wire framed specs!

4 comments:

DJan said...

I have always wondered when I see kids her age wearing glasses if they are really truly necessary. Now I know they are. I can't wait to see these glasses, and hopefully you'll get her to wear them. Maybe you could get a matching pair, and then the two of you could be double adorable!

I suspect that you'll find out whether or not surgery down the road will be possible, but at her age you really are better off getting her to wear glasses.

Thanks ever so much for the prompt responses on here. I was wondering how it went...

Reya Mellicker said...

I started wearing glasses when I was very young - for different problems including extreme nearsightedness and an astigmatism that always makes eye doctors shake their heads gravely.

Fortuntately, glasses are cool now. That's an easy fix. Excellent!

Hey for sciatica, I always recommend therapeutic massage - NOT spa massage. See someone who can address your specific issues rather than just going to a massage place.

Do you have a tennis ball? You can stand backside to the wall, tuck the tennis ball into the "hole" beneath the iliac bone, lateral to your sacrum, and roll around. The sensation should be of release, NOT pain.

Did that make any sense?

Whitney Lee said...

DJan, as always, I appreciate your interest. I spent a portion of my afternoon researching ways to get toddlers to actually wear their glasses so I'm feeling a little more prepared. I'm also planning on wearing my glasses for the first several days to show her how pretty we both are. As soon as we get the glasses next week I'll post some pictures.

Reya, that makes perfect sense. Thank you. My husband actually sees a woman in town who is certified in pre and perinatal massage so I thought it might help to see her. I'm definitely going to try to tennis ball trick. I really do appreciate the tips.

TheChicGeek said...

Oh, I'm so happy her eye issue is not serious. And she will be adorable in those pink specs!

My mom had this surgery as a child and has had no problems since! It's very common and an easy one...Whew! Thank goodness!

So happy to hear all is well! Have a Wonderful Weekend!

Hugs :D