Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I just ate a jelly bean!

This is major news in my world. I had my floogle figgle surgery last week (more commonly known as a frenulectomy) and have had a bit of trouble eating. Actually, everyone acted like this was a no biggie kind of thing but it was not as simple as they made it out to be. First, they numbed the whole area. Thank God! The doctor did explain to me what he was going to do. He even held a mirror up to show me why I was going to get to come back in 6 weeks for a tissue graft. Lucky me! It appears that the little flap of tissue between my lip and gum has pulled on my gum for so long that there really is no gum left beneath that one particular tooth. So on this trip they cut that flap of tissue out completely (and I thought they were just going to snip it) and then proceeded to cut into the muscle. The doctor then used two dissolving stitches and two non dissolving stitches (maybe to keep my lip from falling off?). They made an appointment to see me in two weeks to remove the remaining two stitches and wished me well.
They did NOT prescribe anything to keep me from crying into my pillow later. I thought it was because I would not be in much pain; that's pretty much what they told me. THEY LIED.
I will skip the gory details. Lets just say that for the next few days I was only able to eat yogurt in a tube and easy mac. I was not able to smile or laugh or talk without sounding slightly stupid. On Saturday I discovered that I could chew! Only downside was that I had to do it with my mouth open. Ah well. Each day has gotten slightly better and this afternoon I was actually able to chew a jelly bean. Too exciting for words. At least for me. Just think, another week and a half and I'll be able to eat a sandwich without cutting it into bite sized pieces. Don't be jealous.

No comments: