Thursday, April 23, 2009

Far too old...

Chase and Ashley are playing tonight at a little cafe. Jordan and I go because it's one of the few places they ever play that's non smoking and family friendly. Jordan likes it because she gets to walk around and pat people and ham it up a bit for the crowd. So off we went tonight, excited about going out. Boy have things changed! The place was packed with college students drinking pitchers of beer.
Jordan was a huge hit, but she had to stick close to me because the place was so busy. By 8:30 there wasn't a place to sit. It's not a big place, but I've still never seen it that busy. Jordan flirted with everyone, danced a bit, played the tambourine, and sang into the microphone. She was a busy girl. In between all of that she managed to show nearly everyone her belly button. And the more they laughed and applauded her antics the harder she smiled.
By 9:30 she and I had both had enough. I'd spent my time watching her and watching the crowd. The guys scoping the girls, flirting shamelessly once they'd had enough liquid courage. The girls crossing and uncrossing their legs, giggling together and studiously ignoring the guys. Lots of spilled beer and inconsequential conversation discussed with the intensity only the inebriated can muster. It didn't take long for me to deduce that I am far too old (not necessarily in years) and too married to enjoy that sort of atmosphere for very long. I was actually quite relieved when it was time for me to bring Jordan home. I'm hoping that my husband and sister get out of there with all of their equipment undamaged. As my sister said, dollar beer and college students are not the best idea.

No comments: