I'm supposed to share seven things about myself. It's actually difficult for me to think of seven things, particularly things that aren't rather obvious. I'll give it my best.
1. I'm the younger of two girls and ferociously close to my sister. I cannot imagine my life without her (though I often think of changing my telephone number, the feeling usually passes rather quickly).
2. I am plenty intelligent but dropped out of college after 2 years. I wanted to marry a man several states away. I also wanted to be a housewife and mother and couldn't justify postponing that for a degree I didn't want to use. In retrospect I wish I'd waited another 2 years because a degree would give me a leg up should I decide to go to work (or be forced into it by life circumstances). On the other hand, I'm happy where I am and was sooo tired of school.
3. I love music, the words, the melodies, the emotions and memories they can evoke. Music can speak for me or to me when I've forgotten how to speak for myself. Music can cross generations and nationalities. Music can be the common language.
4. I have a wonderful 85 pound mutt. He's (Cody) absolutely perfect for us and great with the kids. I don't know what we'll do when he gets older. One of my favorite things is sitting in bed at night reading with him pushed up against my hip.
5. I started this blog to exercise my writing muscles. Actually, one of my brilliant cousins started it for me. She decided I needed to write. It was the beginning of being honest with myself. It only took 2 1/2 years, but I've now acknowledged that I do dream of writing...
6. Family is one of the most important aspects of my life. My mother was a career woman and missed a fair amount of family time. Because of that I've chosen to not even attempt a career. I see myself as the center of the family, the foundation, steady as can be, for the rest of them. Most of the time this role sits comfortably on my shoulders. Upon occasion it's a bit much. Still, the same could be said for most any role.
7. Each night, before sleep, I pull out my notebook, the one my sister gave me that has the band around it with the quote "the palest ink is better than the best memory." I then write down 5 things for which I'm grateful. The items vary from the biggies like my children to little luxuries like ice water. It helps remind me each day of how incredibly blessed I am.
Thanks again, Star!!

3 comments:
Yes, thank you, Star! That was sure fun, to learn those things about Whitney. You are quite an interesting person, you know.
I love the idea of writing down five things every night that you are grateful for. Gratitude is one of the most satisfying emotions, I think.
Have you read "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks? I found it truly fascinating to learn how our brains process music. Thanks again for playing!
Loved your list. :)
You're welcome Whitney. I enjoyed reading about you and yes, it is hard to do, once you start, isn't it.
I loved the quote on your journal and will try and remember that one.
All the things you wrote about yourself just go to show what a special person you are!
Post a Comment