Thursday, January 27, 2011

Head Banging

Connor has this new trick.  First, he gets a little tired.  Next, he gets a little fussy.  Lastly, he needs to be ignored.  Then the fun begins.  He sits up on the floor, looks plaintively at me, then folds himself over into a yoga pose I can never hope to emulate and proceeds to bash his forehead against the floor.  The usual pattern is one, two, three, look at me and cry a bit, four, five, six, look at me and cry a bit more, repeat.  

I've never dealt with this before so I'm not sure what to do.  I've been trying to make sure he's not getting overly tired or over stimulated.  I did a little research and found that this is somewhat common, occurring in about 20% of children, and boys are 3 to 4 times more likely to do this.  They also lack the force required to actually cause major damage.  Thank goodness.  Still, I hate to see my baby banging his head against the hard floor.  Not to mention hating him looking like the victim of child abuse.  


Isn't that awful?  He doesn't seem particularly upset, though, does he?


Jordan has a cold (again) so we didn't do a whole lot today.  Unless you count nose blowing as an actual activity.  We did practice Connor's walking skills; he's up to 3 or 4 steps at a time on average, with the occasional 10 step trek thrown in for major points.  The best was watching Jordan holding his hand and walking him across the room.  As much as I sometimes would like to throw my children out the window, there are times when just watching them brings tears to my eyes.  

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Both my boys banged their head. It passed fairly quickly, I think.

Noah still sometimes slaps or punches his own head in frustration, but never hurts anyone else ever.
It is usually when he is overtired and overwhelmed. We just say: "please don't hurt beautiful Noah" soothe him, and tuck him into bed.

DJan said...

I never dealt with that, but yeah, that's hard to watch. I like Natalie's solution!

Debbie said...

That must distress you. It is nice that Natalie experienced that and it passed fast!

Stella Jones said...

Don't read too much into it. I think it's just a phase. They do some strange things sometimes. One of mine had a phase of pulling all his eyelashes out! That wasn't pleasant to watch either, but it didn't seem to do him any harm and he got over it. Naturally I explored all the stress avenues but he didn't seem to be worrying about anything. Everything else was o.k. I think he just did it because he could!!
Hope this phase passes quickly with Connor.

Stella Jones said...

ps:

Hop on over to my place where a little something is waiting for you :)

The Good Cook said...

Oh my! What a rascal. I'm hoping he outgrows that quickly. And walking? Oh, I do love a toddler!