It makes me a bit sad to realize this time is gone. I didn't really mourn it with Jordan because I knew we planned on having another. Now, though, I know that this is the end of this period in my life. Yes, I'm aware that it will be several years before they are gone all day, several years that they still need me to be here for them. Still, they already need me less. Jordan has reached that staunchly independent stage whose mighty refrain is "I can do it!" A stage where, even though I am the one who is here, Daddy is the one she wants to be here. All of this is natural and completely expected, but I'm very aware of her moving out of the shelter of my arms, reaching with arms wide open for that big, beautiful world that awaits. Connor now does so much on his own, he needs me much less than he did even a month ago. Fortunately he still turns to me for cuddles or kisses or with his owies, otherwise I'd begin to feel completely unnecessary!
Of course, their growing independence has enabled me to step back and do this detox. It's allowed me the time I've needed to do things like exercise, nap, and try new recipes. This wouldn't have worked nearly as well a couple of months ago. Of course, if I would quit taking a bite here and a bite there of things I'm not supposed to have this would also work better! Oh well, it's still going well enough. I actually come to the end of the detox tomorrow but have decided to go another week. I still have enough of the protein and fiber powders to do another week and, after the bits of cheating, I feel I could use the extra time. If nothing else, maybe I can conquer the mental voices that are urging me towards crappy food when I'm not even hungry.
I know that part of my emotions about this passing phase have been exacerbated by the situation with L. I cannot imagine how horrific it must be, as a parent, to watch your child suffer through something like what he's dealing with. It makes me want to wrap my arms around my own son and protect him from harm. I'm well aware that's neither practical nor possible. Life happens. As soon as I get done mourning the end of this phase I'll get busy getting excited about the next phase. Here's my opportunity to begin deciding how I want to spend my time, what I'd like to do with my days, and finding new ways to contribute to our family needs. I promise I'll be excited...just give me a few minutes to get there.
As for L, he is doing well (a relative term). It has now been 9 days, and he's still alive. That in itself is a miracle. He has undergone four surgeries so far to remove dead skin and started physical therapy yesterday. It saddens me that his responses are given by blinking. At the same time, I'm thrilled that he's able to respond at all. They will start the skin grafting in the next couple of days. I know it's going to be a long haul as they've got to basically create a whole new set of skin for him. I know that this is just the next step on an incredibly long and arduous journey, one I hope he continues to find the strength to endure. I can't help but wonder how this will change not just him, but those around him as well.
Speaking of change, here's Connor in September:
Note the lovely rolls and round little cheeks
And here's Connor now:
Note that he looks like a little boy more than a baby
(Plus he finally got some teeth!)
Hello. Meet Bunny. This is Connor's very favorite friend. He also likes to be very close to me sometimes. Thank goodness!
And because this would not be complete without a picture of my growing girl, Here's Jordan! She's all dressed up for Farm Day at school.
Have a Happy Weekend!



5 comments:
Yes, you're right about time passing by quickly. Having kids speeds it up no end. Connor has changed a lot as you showed us and he is now a cute little boy. I suppose we should learn from these observations, not to hurry life along too quickly. Savour the moments because all things pass. I look at Connor and I see Dylan, six months or so further on down the road. It all shows me my own mortality.
Jordan looks great in her farmer's outfit.
You have done very well with your detoxification programme. It's a great achievement. Well done.
So very well written, Whitney, and you're right: blink and it will have already passed into memory. But you are writing all this down and sharing it, so you will have it to reflect upon later. Your children are so beautiful, and Connor has grown into a sweet toddler. Jordan is also growing up so quickly.
Congratulations on your success with the detox. You've just given me the idea of what I will write about in a few minutes on my Eye blog.
Oh, don't remind me. I'm just now coming to grips with time passing incredibly fast these days. Now that #2 is on the way, it seems to have slowed down, only because pregnancy seems to take F O R E V E R.
I'm glad you're stopping to take a moment and breathe it all in. So many people forget to do that.
By the way, I stumbled onto a blog you may like... http://momastery.blogspot.com/
Take or leave it, but she made me laugh...especially when writing about life's harsh realities and hurdles.
This post hit home for me. It seemed like the years were gone in a puff of smoke and my children became women. Now my grandson is 3.5 and I know already I will miss the baby him, the little boy him, in the not too distant future. Enjoy your moments, and always be grateful for them, as they pass all too quickly.
I hope and pray for L.
Your children are growing like crazy! They are truly beautiful and you are blessed. I remember my own children at that age and yes, it was a blink of an eye and then they were grown. Hold every moment close to your heart; every single one of them is precious.
I'm so sorry to read about your friend. I will keep him in my prayers.
And lastly, thank you for your good wishes on my blog. Yes, it is my birthday on the 26th. I just got back from a trip to New Orleans ... where our story (TBHITW) and mine started so long ago. It was bittersweet. I'm glad I went as the trip was all part of a healing journey.
Happy Easter, Passover, Spring.. whatever you are celebrating in your life - make it special and make it memorable.
Linda
Post a Comment