Friday, July 17, 2009

What goes around...

I was raised that one is supposed to give back. It doesn't have to be financial although that's certainly part of it (10% don't ya know). I was taught that giving back merely requires an intention and a bit of time, not even a great deal of time.
It occurred to me today that I don't give back. Yes, I'm kind to children and small animals and I'm happy to help out a neighbor with a favor, but I don't actively go and give of my time to those who could use my particular talents. By talents I mean I'm young and healthy and have my own car and like to listen. Yet I've allowed the daily grind to get in the way of giving of my time and resources. I've allowed the fact that I don't know what my husband's schedule is going to be like (thus I don't know when I will have dependable time off) keep me from committing to something that has a set schedule. That's an excuse. If I commit myself to something that is meaningful and fulfills a need then I will find a way to make it happen. I will find someone to watch my daughter.
I can make this happen. I just need to decide what 'this' is. I know there are a number of options out there, a plethora of places that are in need of a volunteer. I simply need to find something that works with what time I can make and that speaks to me. Perhaps something like a nursing home that encourages visitors on Sundays?
I'd love any suggestions...

No comments: