Sunday, January 25, 2009

Words

It's easy to take communication for granted. It is something that is simply there. Until it's not. And that's when the trouble begins. Children my daughter's age may have a few words but that's it. It's up to me to translate grunts and moans and peculiar body language. There are times (like tonight) when I feel I'm a poor translator. Languages are not my forte and when there really isn't a language per se, it's even more difficult. Although perhaps Gibberish is a language.
Although if I take a long look at the situation, there is probably less miscommunication and dishonesty in the communication shared with my daughter than any other in which I engage. And perhaps the lack of words is less of an obstacle...Perhaps a proliferation of words that are poor conveyors of emotion are more of a detriment to communication than anything else could be.

No comments: