My grandmother came to visit today. What is truly lovely about this is that she permanently changed residences two weeks after my daughter's birth. Which was approximately 16 months ago. So it's not as if she was popping in to say "life goes on" or "all's well here on the other side." No, we've already had that visit. That was a few weeks after her death. So it has literally been months since she first came by.
I went across the street to let the neighbor's dog out around lunch time, leaving the munchkin in her playpen. As soon as I re-entered I noticed the scent. It was a partly older people/partly musty older house odor. But mostly it was just my grandmother; just the way she smelled when I'd go to hug her. And I said to myself, "Ah, it's Mom." As a side note I'll say that everyone called my grandmother "mom." When her first grandchild was born she declared herself far too young to be called grandmother and thus christened herself 'mom.'
I've been reading a book the last few days that I must have loaned to my sister at some point in time because it has a card addressed to her in between the pages. It's a card from my grandmother. Of course, finding the card made me think more of my grandmother. Perhaps that's why she chose to stop in. Or maybe it's just that she loved babies and family more than most anything and she pops in occasionally to see how her youngest great grandchild is doing. Or it could be both. Either way it was nice to say 'hello' and be absolutely certain she heard.
1 comment:
I love that. I'm pretty sure she checks in on me too. At least to make sure I'm still acting a lady.
Post a Comment