Saturday, May 14, 2011

School

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor last night, a former teacher turned stay at home mom.  She and I were discussing the educational system, and she mentioned that she'll be considering homeschooling when the time comes.  Hmm.  I have to say I'd never really thought about that as a possibility as Chase and I are big proponents of the school system.  I also had a number of preconceptions about homeschooling and the drawbacks of the choice.

I came home and proceeded to do a little research on the computer.  Honestly, I have to say I'm striving to keep an open mind and simply gather information.  The information I've found about the public school system scares me a bit.  My husband was public school all the way and prefers that route.  Until I started to do some research that was also my preference.  I have the benefit of experiencing both public and private school.  Actually, I am just uneducated about the current school system.  Jordan is just now getting to the age where we are beginning to think about her schooling so I've not paid much attention to the current educational system.  Yes, she's in preschool, but it's a small place and she's only there 6 hours a week.  It's Christian based and they are learning their colors and numbers.  I don't have to worry about how much one on one she gets or what sort of books are being introduced.  Most of her actual knowledge and learning comes from us as we are the ones constantly here.  Once she is old enough to start kindergarten that will no longer be the case.

All of my research is making me question my preconceptions and my belief about what is the best learning environment for my children.  I am questioning everything.  I know that this is a good thing, but damn if it's not an uncomfortable place for me!  It's made more difficult by the fact that, for the first time, Chase and I might not be on the same page regarding what we feel is best.  That, too, is an uncomfortable situation.  Oh, I know that we are never going to always agree on how we raise our kids, but their education is a big subject on which to disagree.  I hate being in a place of indecision, a place where the path to my beliefs is not clear.  It doesn't help that there are so very many options: public school, private school, homeschool, homeschool then private, etc.  Also, should I decide that homeschooling is the best option for now, the question of my abilities arises.  I know, that's putting the cart before the horse, but it is a factor to consider.

Any insight?  Words of wisdom?

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't comment because our system probably differs to yours.
I can understand why you are worried about you and Chase disagreeing about such a huge decision, but in reality you can always change your mind if one choice doesn't work out.
It is better to change Jordan in Kindy rather than later down the track.xx

DJan said...

I know that public schools are not in the best shape these days, but it depends so much on where you live. Some schools are good, others are okay, and some are just plain awful. Can you talk to some parents who are doing different things and find out what they think? It's a big decision, and I can understand your difficulty.

Stella Jones said...

That's a big important subject. I understand your concern. I was lucky enough to have a very good education with a large Christian element and I expected that our sons would have the same. It came as a shock to me that things had changed so much since I was at school. My priority was that they would be able to mix with all echelons of society, not just people like them with the same values. I wanted them to be as at home having tea with the Queen as sharing a can of coke with some hardluck hobo on the street. From that point of view, their education worked. They all went to a mixed education school (boys and girls) and had a very broad educ. They grew up streetwise with good manners. They know how to behave. What they didn't get was the sort of education I had. I think that sort is long gone in the mists of time. I could write a lot about this subject, but you have to make your own choices, given what is available to you. I would not recomment home schooling because it is too insular and your children need to meet and mix and spend time with all sorts of people.

Nancy said...

This is a tough one. From a developmental point of view, I favor schooling with other children. There is much to learn other than the three 'Rs. However, I have not had children in a bad school system, nor have I any idea what these cutbacks are going to mean. I wish you well in this endeavor and look forward to your findings. It is really scary for us as we are about to give our daughter a masters in education from Lewis & Clark University (a private school), only to have her make less than her education is worth in a year. We are in uncharted territory.

Katie @ Yankee and Peach said...

It's a constant worry for me (/us) as well. The elementary school near us absolutely stinks. The high school is good, and the middle school is so-so.
We've pretty much decided that both our kids will be in private school, at least until middle school - and then we'll make a decision based on their needs and the quality of the school then. I just hope we can afford to do private schooling for both of them until then!
I've debated home-schooling as well... it's a tough decision. I'm glad you're opening your mind to these things though. =o) As uncomfortable as it may be!

Katie @ Yankee and Peach said...

PS- in case you haven't figured it out yet, good 'ol FRA was a dirt cheap bargain compared to most private places these days! Cloistered, yes. Safe, yes. Quality of education, yes. Worldly and cultured? Eh, they're still getting there. =o)
Overall, I wouldn't mind my children getting the style of education I received, but there's always so much more a parent can add to that. No matter the school system. =o)

R. J. said...

From a retired teacher, schools are always a work in progress and change tremendously even from year to year. Investigate the local school, visit it, and evaluate it before choosing it. Once you have decided on a school, I would volunteer and be in the building as often as possible. Parent involvement guarantees better schools.

This lady has a great section about homeschooling. http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We had a family living here for about 8 months in a 38' RV with FIVE children. They homeschooled. The children were very bright and balanced. Having met some of the children in the local school system here ....... well, the homeschooled ones were learning a lot more. That being said, all children are not as hungry to learn as others. This is not an easy subject to debate. Whatever you decide, just be involved.