Saturday, August 7, 2010

Holy Moly!

I have missed everyone...

I'm glad to be back, in some form or fashion.  I've enjoyed catching up on what everyone has been doing, and reassured to realize that I'm not the only one who's busy.  I have had some excitement here, and ya'll are right-my kids are growing like weeds.  Next week is Connor's 6 month checkup.  Does time pass more quickly with each passing year or is it simply me?

So on to the most recently exciting...My sister got engaged!  It is truly a fantastic story.  My sister and Mitch (the recent fiance) are both divorced.  Ashley didn't have much of the romantic or the fairy tale the first time around and was fairly certain she'd prefer to have a bit of both this time.  She was not remotely subtle about expressing this desire.

A couple of weekends ago they were having a lazy Saturday at home (as lazy a day as you can have with four kids running around).  Mitch convinced everyone that they really needed to go feed the horse  (he has a couple of horses pastured about 30 minutes from their house).  When they got there she sat in the truck with the girls while Mitch and his son got out to go feed.  A few minutes later, Dylan (the son) came and told her that Mitch needed her at the barn.  Ashley claims she was wearing a great new pair of shoes and was less than thrilled that Mitch wanted her to get out and walk around in horse manure but she went ahead.

When she rounded the barn there was Mitch. In a full suit of armor. On the back of a horse.  As he rode towards her the horse reared a few times, causing him to lose a shoulder plate.  When he got to her he dismounted and sank to one knee.  He said, "I don't know what to say.  You know I love you so much and I want to spend my life with you.  Will you marry me?"  She said he was shaking so badly he could barely get the ring on her finger.  After the yeses and the smooching she apparently asked him, "Mitch, at what point in time did you think that I would say no?"  I thought it was sweet that he was still nervous about such a big moment even though the outcome was pretty guaranteed.

It was pretty amazing.  He'd gone to a fair amount of trouble, ordering the costume, buying fabric and sewing a blanket for the horse, keeping the whole set up a secret from everyone but me.  Ashley was floored; she never saw it coming.  Best of all, he understands her enough to realize what she needs and loves her enough to make the grand gesture.  I'm thrilled for her.





They are talking about a really small ceremony in October.  They've both had the larger traditional wedding and are inclined to do something a little different.  Instead of the traditional reception they want to have a costume party just before Halloween.  It seems appropriate since it's my sister's favorite holiday.  It'll give Mitch an opportunity to wear his armor again.  Now I just have to figure out a costume for me...

2 comments:

DJan said...

Whoa! That was a truly great gesture, and as romantic as it gets. He was probably nervous from being on the back of that horse in full armor, if you ask me! What a fabulous story. And so cool of you to share it with me!!!

Katie @ Yankee and Peach said...

I saw her pics on Facebook, but I love hearing you tell the story!! SSOOOOoo very happy for Ashley. And what a beautiful way to do it!