Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blue Award

I was given this award by DJan (thank you:)).  To my understanding I'm to answer a series of questions, then create ten questions of my own and award six more bloggers.  Well, I haven't the foggiest notion who I'd award nor what I'd ask so I think I'll do the first and skip the second.  I'm sure DJan will understand...

These questions are harder to answer than you might think.  I did my best though the toughest one is who I'd like to be if I could be anyone.  That's a really broad range.

1.  What is your favorite book and why?
  
     This is ridiculously difficult to answer as I have so many books I love.  I would have to say that Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is probably as close to a favorite as I'm going to get.  It's actually the first in a series of wonderful novels.  They are set in the 1700's (primarily) and cover time travel, history, danger and intrigue.  The character development is phenomenal and the storyline fascinating.  I have read the series 5 or 6 times now and anticipate reading it many more.  It's quite a feat since the books are all around 1000 pages.

2.  If you could be anybody, living or dead, who would it be?
  
     Audrey Hepburn.  I have loved her since I was introduced to her movies and have read all I could find on her.  She seems to have been one of those people whose beauty begins on the inside and seeps out their pores.  Every aspect of her life seems to have been imbued with grace and humility, even when life was not smooth sailing.  I also admire all she did with UNICEF and her great desire to make a difference.  All of that was done long before it was popular for celebrities to endorse causes.  On top of all of that she had a fabulous smile!

3.  What's your first memory?  Why do you think you remember it?
  
     Magic Chapstick.  I can remember sitting on the kitchen counter when I was around 3 years old, rolling the chapstick up until it wouldn't go any farther and breaking it off.  I would then leave it all sitting on the counter.  When I got home each afternoon it was put back together!  It wasn't until I was older and discussing this memory with my parents that my dad informed me he was the source of the magic.  I always assumed that this stuck in my memory because of my belief that it was a magical happening.

4.  What do you think is your strongest asset?
  
     I really didn't know the answer to this.  All I could think of were those facets of my personality that are less than perfect so I asked the people who know me best.  The consensus seems to be my level headedness, my practicality, my common sense, or however else you choose to phrase it...My father said it like this, "Whitney, you're the most grounded person I know."  I fear that can be a bit boring at times but is probably rather comforting for those who depend on me.  I seem to have surrounded myself with dynamic extroverts who, lets face it, can use a bit of grounding!

5.  Do you like parties?  Why or why not?
  
     I really do.  I'm a people watcher, and parties allow me to kick back and enjoy.  I also get pleasure out of talking to different kinds of people; most everyone has a story to tell or some wisdom to impart, whether they know it or not.  The last couple of years as a stay at home mom have added another layer to that since it's often a great way to simply have an adult conversation.

6.  What is your favorite activity?
  
     Reading.  It's always been reading.  I have been a book worm as long as I can remember.  I often read more than one book at a time, something frivolous and something informative.  I love that I can feed a need for knowledge and entertainment with something as simple (and portable) as a book.  One of my biggest problems is that the authors I love don't put out books as quickly as I read so I'm always having to find new authors to read (which translates into more books to shelve as I'm a big re-reader and hang onto all the books I enjoy).

7.  Why do you blog?
  
     I used to enjoy writing but let it fall by the wayside in the last 8 or 10 years.  I was in need of an outlet about the same time I was urged to rediscover old passions.  When my cousin introduced me to blogging I didn't even know what it was but quickly discovered that I love all it offers.  I get an outlet, have a connection to others, am entertained by fellow bloggers escapades, and continuously learn new facts.  It also opens my eyes to other points of view, something I think is particularly important for someone as set in their ways as I am.  Not every activity has such a varied number of benefits as blogging does.

8.  Do you get regular exercise?  If so, how?
  
     Well, I used to....!  I'll get back to it all soon, I'm sure, just as soon as my life settles into a more predictable pattern.  Prior to kid #2, I did Pilates every morning and walked a couple of miles each night.  I do still walk a mile or so several times a week.  There's really not any rhyme or reason to it now, though, since my husband won't let me walk the dog alone after dark and sometimes it's close to dark before I get the opportunity.  This question has inspired me to start doing Pilates.

9.  Are you happy?  Why or why not?
  
     Yes.  I believe that happiness is a choice one makes, regardless of circumstances.  I've had some difficult life circumstances at times and have allowed myself to become depressed.  Then I discovered that the highs and lows, the joys and sorrows, are part of the journey, no one is guaranteed an easy time of it.  I cannot always control what's going on around me, but I can control my attitude.  That's not to say I don't get sad or angry at times because I do.  Ultimately though, I let it go.  I'd rather be content with each and every moment because there's perfection within the struggles.  I refuse to go through life being miserable half the time just because things aren't happening the way I'd prefer.  There's a Zen proverb I came across that I really like: The obstacle is the path.  Aside from that, have you seen my kids?  How could I not be happy?

10.  Tell something about yourself you want to share.
    
     I love astrology.  There's a pattern and a symmetry to it that appeals to me.  There's also the handy trick of looking at my chart (where all the planets were at the time of my birth) and seeing all the pieces that make up me.  I find that it can be a bit like a cheat sheet when applied to other people in that it can give me clues as to how best to relate to others.  To avoid going into a whole spiel, I'll say that I am very much a Taurus.  Some of the more positive traits of this sign:  practical, dependable, and patient.  Some of the more negative traits:  possessive, lazy, and stubborn.  Taureans like security, stability, and good food and dislike change, being pushed too hard, and any break in routine.  All of this is quite true, though I like to think I've made great strides in overcoming some of my less attractive attributes.

This was fun and caused me to actually think about myself in ways I haven't for some time.  Thanks for letting me play!

2 comments:

DJan said...

Wow! This is wonderful, Whitney! You don't need to do any more than you already have. I will read the Outlander book, and I also love Audrey Hepburn. I am not surprised to learn that you are level headed, because it seems to be there between every line in every post. You are an inspiration to me in how you live your life, and not just because you say nice things to me on my own posts. Thank you for playing, you've made my day!!!

Stella Jones said...

Very interesting answers Whitney. It's great to get to know more about you.
Blessings, Star