Speaking of Thanksgiving, it was amazing. For me, this time of year is about Family, Laughter, and Music. We definitely had all 3 going for those few days. I took lots of pictures and even managed an audio recording of our family music night. I've yet to play with it but know that I have a few hours worth of stuff to sort through. It makes me happy.
One of my uncles brought an old box of pictures with him. He spread them out one night and let people get the ones that they wanted while we wandered around asking who this picture was and so on. It was great fun. What I found really touching is that in the midst of this I looked up and saw Connor in the corner in the rocking chair. The one that was my grandmother's. The one that is for sentimental reasons only because it's certainly not strong enough for anyone to rock in anymore. It was as if we looked over and knew my grandmother was there with us.
Incidentally, after we got home I got to work scanning all of the pictures my dad had brought back with him. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it might, and we've all enjoyed them. I have more pictures I've found that I've not yet scanned, but there are only so many hours in a day, right? There were also some letters which reminded me of the trunk full of my great grandmother's papers sitting in my sister's basement. She had gotten them after my grandmother's death, and she and I have never gotten around to going through them. I have since gathered some of them and brought them here so I can go through them, take pictures and share them with the rest of the family. It is slow work, particularly trying to decipher some of the old handwriting, but quite fascinating. It's a glimpse into a different world, a different time. It's also given me new information to jumpstart my genealogy work. I'd hit quite a wall but these letters have opened several new doors. It's amazing to me that my grandmother kept all the old envelopes as well which means I have addresses. Quite a handy bit of information since they all moved so much. So far the earliest bit of information I've found is from 1912. It's an old deed. I also came across a letter my grandmother wrote to Santa when she was 8. Since that was in 1930 I'm betting she didn't get the Victrola she asked for.
As for the rest of our Thanksgiving, we had beautiful weather so the kids (mine and Ashley's) were able to play outside alot. Thank goodness. The house may be nearly 6000 sq feet, but I doubt that's big enough when you have 6 stir crazy kids in it! My cousin had rented a bouncy house for the munchkins which was amazing and great fun. Even Connor eventually got to where he liked it.
Jordan, upon seeing this, pronounced my cousin her favorite cousin EVER. See, bribery works!
Connor and my dad. It was so wonderful to have my dad with us! I love to see him interact with the kids since so much of his relationship with them is via phone and video.
Being down there with my family made me even more aware of how very much I love them. This was the first time that the brothers (my dad and 2 of his 3 siblings) had gotten together since their mother's death 4 years ago. I didn't even see them then as it was only 2 weeks after Jordan's birth and we weren't quite able to travel. The whole trip reminded me so much of the family gatherings we used to have. It was very poignant. I think part of what made me so happy was the knowledge that I am providing my children with memories that so closely resemble some of my own happiest moments.
My cousin's home that he and his wife so kindly open to us each year. Gorgeous, no?
The three brothers, youngest, middle, eldest. My dad's in the middle.
Holidays long past. My dad is on the far left, my oldest uncle on the far right. The youngest uncle is the one in the middle back with my grandmother's hands on him. The two middle boys were absent, one because he was in Colorado for Thanksgiving and the other (my dad's twin) died nearly two decades ago.
Look at my gorgeous boy who is so much more of a boy now than a baby. I can't believe how much he's grown. If I didn't stay so busy chasing him around, pulling him off of anything he can find to climb, or laughing at his antics I would be quite melancholy at the speedy passage of time.
My baby mid-jump.
My youngest cousin with my sister's youngest step daughter.
My oldest cousin, owner and builder of aforementioned home, sharing a snack with Connor.
Jordan (left) with two of her cousins enjoying a ginormous bubble bath. Remember when life was full of these simple joys?
My sister's birthday happened to fall on Thanksgiving this year. Isn't she pretty?




2 comments:
Fantastic pictures, Whitney. I especially love the one of your sister (the last one), but they are all great. I've missed you, but I was hoping all was well with you, and now I know it has been. Other than the inevitable sniffles and stuff... :-)
You have an incredibly beautiful family, Whitney. You have so much in your life. Lucky you.
Post a Comment