Saturday, October 8, 2011

Funkless

Star was right in her comment on my last post: I was in a funk.  It was one of those weeks where we were all sick, it was cold and rainy several days running, people I care about were inexplicably ill or dying, and I just wanted to hunker down and wait for the sunshine.  Well, the sun is back and though still snotty, we are all feeling better.

I have discovered that in the midst of our routine it is helpful to have projects and adventures to look forward to...that helped get me back on track as well.  I had a meeting with a photographer this week to discuss our upcoming family photo shoot.  She is the one who took pictures of us last year and possesses such a lively and effervescent personality that her upbeat energy is contagious.  I don't know that I wrote about it, but I took a photography workshop with her in August and have made some definite improvement in my own photos.  I'm not looking to start a business but do want to take better shots of the kids and of the band and her tips and such were extremely helpful.  So after she and I talked about the shoot for next week I got some advice on where to take some promotional shots of the band.

The next day was Jordan's very first field trip.  She was so hyped about this, as was Connor because there was lots of excited jumping around which wound him up.  Jordan attends a church preschool which doesn't have busses so field trips involve parents and younger siblings since we have to drive our kids to the trip.  This one was to a local park to do a leaf/tree branch/nut scavenger hunt.  It was a gorgeous fall day and I really enjoyed helping find all the different sizes, colors and types of leaves and trying to point out root systems and little pinecones and such to Jordan and Connor.  I think sometimes it just helps to get outside and wallow in the joy of nature.  I'm sure DJan would agree.


Nature is fun


Connor enjoyed the limb hunt as well.

Along with the field trip something wonderful happened:   Chase had jury duty and got out early-like 10:30 early.  He showed up at the park and got to be a part of Jordan's field trip.  I love it when he gets to enjoy these moments with us, the ones that usually occur while he's at work.  He ended up staying home for the rest of the day since he'd already taken the day off work.  This gave me the most exciting opportunity to go downtown to scout out places to take photos of the band.  Here I was, newly re-inspired, photographically speaking, and given the means to pursue it.  It was a case of life providing me with exactly what I needed.



Here's where I plan to start!










While on my explorative jaunt I wandered into a wonderland of possibilities, a shop that does estate sales.  I have known they were there but rarely head downtown to shop because it's so difficult with the kids in tow.  It's not like taking them to Target or the grocery store where there are carts and wide aisles; the shops downtown are not made for strollers and have treasures crammed into all available spaces, not an ideal spot for children.  So, I shopped with joy and appreciation for the unusual opportunity.  I also shopped with great success.  I ended up hauling home a children's rocker that's in great condition and some old picture frames.  I have great plans for both.  I also found some old school chairs that looked to be still sturdy and usable though seriously in need of some cleaning.  They didn't have prices on them though and were on the second floor so I left them there.  My arms were already loaded down with my camera and shopping bags and my car was more than a block away so I figured I would leave them there until the weekend.  Fortunately for me I didn't have to wait that long.

Chase called me the next day to say that he wanted to check out this store now that I'd come home raving about it and was going to swing by after seeing a customer near there.  I jumped on the chance to go back with an extra pair of hands so I loaded up the kids and zipped down there to meet him.  I was able to show him the chairs and get his opinion (not to mention his help carrying them down).  It's a good thing he was there because he was cool as a cucumber when asking about the price whereas I'd have been a complete pushover.  We got the chairs for an amazing $5 each!  I was silent but jumping up and down on the inside.  I had big plans for these chairs.  I dragged the kids to Home Depot later to pick up some paint and sandpaper because I was ready to start the work on turning my vision into reality.  I won't go into boring detail now because I have taken pictures instead:)


The rocker


My $5 chairs before I did anything to them


After sanding.  Very sturdy, well built and just begging for some TLC.  Can I just say that I've never done anything with furniture aside from dusting?


While Jordan was at school yesterday Connor decided to help me.


Post sanding


Just the perfect size for a little boy


"Mama, why doesn't this boot fit over my tennis shoes?"


It's all about perspective


Ready to paint


Here's the nearly finished product.  I say nearly because I want to do a coat of polyurethane to help make it easier to clean-it is going to be used by extremely messy children!


TaDa!  One down, one to go.


The weather this week has been beautiful, cool in the morning and evening and reaching the mid 70's during the day while the sun has shone continuously as if to highlight the changing colors of fall.  This caused me to suggest we take a little trip this weekend to enjoy the fall foliage.  It's rare to have a weekend where Chase isn't playing music, the weather is amazing, and we have no plans or obligations so I asked if we could take the kids to the Parkway (Blue Ridge) and take a picnic lunch, some sturdy shoes, and my camera.  We aren't really going to hike, but I want the kids to be able to wander through nature while I get to take photos and we all make some memories.  I know the fall leaves are not going to be at their peak but doubt we'll have another weekend that's as perfect as this for the outing.  My dad gave Jordan her own pair of big people binoculars for her birthday so we're taking those as well.  I have to thank DJan for this idea because her own weekly (or more) posts on her hikes with amazing pictures was the initial inspiration for this plan.  Hopefully I'll get some fun photos and I know the kids will enjoy running around in nature.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Okay, since that last sentence we've had both kids fall off the sofa.  Connor is currently holding an ice pack to his cheek and Jordan is resting so that her head doesn't start bleeding again.  We'll worry about washing the blood out of her hair in a little while.  So while the accident prone take a little break I'm off to gather goodies for our excursion!  Wish us luck.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I just love your little chairs and the rocker. I think going outside and taking your children into nature is absolutely the most healthy thing to do for them. We all need time to reconnect to our "roots", so to speak. Conner is so cute!

Stella Jones said...

Yes, exploring nature is one of the best things we ever do. I have enjoyed taking Dylan to the park each week and helping him to notice how things are changing there. It is very therapeutic. I'm sorry you have two bumped heads to deal with. Hope they heal quickly.
Your photos have always been good. You always get what I call perfect scrapbooking pics.
Lovely post, nice to hear you being positive again :)
Star x

DJan said...

Your pictures are outstanding. I just had to smile over and over at Connor's unique perspective. And the chairs for $5? Amazing. Thanks for the sweet shout-out to me. You know I love to hike, and nature can bring the most energetic kid to his (or her) knees. Eventually!

Things are looking up! And your hard work on those chairs is worth every bit of effort.

R. J. said...

Aren't wooden chairs the best! The red really is a good choice. They are so durable with kids and very easy to clean. Great idea and sweet kids. They remind me of my grandchildren who are the same age as your children.

CiCi said...

The chairs were a great find and the color you picked to paint them is super duper. You do take some terrific pictures, whether it is the advice from your photographer or you have a natural good photo eye, the pics are great.