It seems I was being overrun by negativity. So much of it was my fault as I seem to be a sponge, soaking up what is around me. After all the initial baby mama drama had faded I was stuck in this stupid cycle where my sister wanted to constantly update me on what was happening, all while constantly asking if I knew if she had been served yet, etc. There were days when she called just to ask if I would call the police department to find out if the warrant had been served and then quickly let me go. I began to feel like her obsession with this was smothering me and wished I'd never bothered to file the damn charge to start with...
So I decided to do a few things just for myself. I took lots of naps, read lots of books, took up some knitting again, finally watched some shows I'd DVR'd, spent some time with my girlfriends, and other such stuff. The kids and I went and bought some new books, played more games, cuddled more than usual and did lots of silly dancing. It's been good for me. I feel better, thank goodness. I need to try to work on not absorbing everyone's moods, but until then I need to remember to take some time away from it all.
I mentioned the knitting-it's something that I took up after I quit drinking and have done somewhat sporadically over the last several years. I was working on a baby blanket for Connor that got set aside after he was born. It was, by far, the largest project I'd ever attempted, and I was a bit disappointed in myself that I'd never finished. Not long ago I was cleaning out closets and whatnot when I came across the blanket and decided it was past time for me to complete it. So nearly every night after the kids were down I'd pull out my knitting and add a few more rows. Finally, last week, I finished it! I was ridiculously proud of myself. I have to admit, there's something so enervating and satisfying about creating something.
I keep asking Chase if he wants me to knit him a hat. He seems somewhat reluctant to respond. Actually, that's not exactly true. He reluctantly responded with a "no, thank you," and seems scared that I might actually be working on a hat for him! That's in between comments about how he'll probably be old and bald before I actually finish the hat...smart ass. Good thing I love him:)

4 comments:
I'm mucho mucho impressed with the blanket - I wish I had that kind of talent!!
Glad you took some time to recharge/regroup and get the positive vibes going again. It's so hard to not feel the negative pressure when things happen to someone close to you.
It's times like those that I often have to channel Dori from the Nemo movie to keep my wits about me and attitude in check: "Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!" =o)
What a beautiful blanket! Glad you finished it so you can feel good about it. I know what you mean about having a sense of accomplishment when something gets done.
And we share the ability (some might say curse) to absorb what is around us. Your children are where I would go also for some R&R. And as Katie said, "just keep swimming!" Here's a virtual hug just for you! :-)
Love the blanket. Start on that hat! He should definitely get a hat, he would definitely get a hat in my house. You could knit lots of your frustrations into that hat!! He who loves me knows better than to challenge me!!
I have been coddling myself this past week. I have a "friend" who has managed to insinuate herself into every aspect of my life. The intensity of her scrutiny and opinions has proved to be exhausting and frustrating. I tried the direct approach with a heart to heart, but it just seemed to add to her arsenal of weaponry to display in the presence of others. I finally had a screaming meltdown over something pretty trivial that she was making an issue of. She has backed off. But, now I find myself waiting to see what she will do in retaliation. She reads my blog, so I have been very careful. She posted her version of my meltdown on facebook and identified me as the owner of the park! She lives here and has managed to make herself the pariah of the park. People actually have lookouts to avoid her. She is more than just a little overbearing ... Drama. I just want peace.
The blanket's lovely Whitney and well done for finishing it eventually. Actually it doesn't really matter when but it does need finishing. That way you feel good about yourself and you did, didn't you.
I think you did the right thing to withdraw for a while, recharge your own batteries and let others recharge theirs.
Post a Comment