Friday, March 11, 2011

Physics?

I have mentioned before that I keep a gratitude journal.  Each night I get into bed and tell my husband it's time to be grateful (get your mind out of the gutter).  I pull out my fancy pen and my pretty notebook and list five things for which I'm thankful.  Sometimes it's as simple as ice water, others it's as complex as having someone in my life who not only knows me and all my flaws but accepts them as part of the unique package that is me.  Right now I am thankful that I am whole, that my family is safe and protected from the hideousness that is happening in Japan and Hawaii and all the places in between.  I have been checking the news and crying as I read about what must be a living nightmare.  My thoughts and prayers are zinging all over the place; I don't know that they will help at all.

I am reminded of the Tracy Chapman song, The Rape of the World.  I know it must be a simplistic view, but I cannot help thinking of Newton's Law of Motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  My heart goes out to all of us for we will all be affected by the current tragedy.  We are all connected, right?





5 comments:

DJan said...

yes, we are all connected, Whitney. I have been watching the events with dismay and concern. But I am hoping that the love that we all feel for those in the midst of all that destruction somehow makes some sort of difference... the helplessness I feel is overwhelming.

Stella Jones said...

I love Tracy Chapman!

I will put a sticking plaster on my globe.

I will put a polar bear in my icebox.

I'm not being facetious. It might help!

I will do whatever I can to help, knowing that it won't be much.

However!!! when the little boy threw a starfish back into the sea after it was washed up, the man walking by said 'Why are you bothering with that, there are hundreds of them washed up. Look around you... It won't make any difference!'
The little boy looked up at him and replied:
'Well, it sure made a difference to that one.'

Shanae Branham said...

Wow! You put me to shame. I am touched by your compassion and brought to me knees to be more grateful for what blessings are in my life right now. I am listening to the song you have in this post. Thank you for sharing! It's people like you who make this world a better place to live in.

Natalie said...

I have been focusing on keeping Mother Earth steady. Also sending thoughts about fresh food, water and supplies arriving where they are needed with ease and grace. Sending love to all continuously, to cradle them through the shock and horror, but not putting my attention there.
Also donating to Red Cross is good.
Through this experience, humanity will learn better ways of doing things that will bring us into our age of peace and reason.♥

R. J. said...

I like your idea to look for things that make you grateful for your life and circumstances. Often we don't think enough about it except at Thanksgiving Day. It is a sad situation in Japan to see in the media. There are so many areas of the world where people are having a hard time, it is good to remind ourselves that we are fortunate.