We've lived in this house for a little over 5 years. I clearly remember the day we moved in, a Friday. I had, by then, started working for the realty company we'd used to list our previous home and through whom we'd purchased the new home. I was only part time and was supposed to have that day off to move but because of some meeting they needed me to come in for a few hours and cover the phones. Let me just say we were not the most organized movers. We were throwing last minute things into boxes and tossing them into the cars as the new owners were pulling up. I went to the closing on the new house in my pajama top because I couldn't find any other clothes. Never again will we move like that! I remember that by the time I made it back from work Chase had already moved most of the heavy stuff in, partially with the help of our new neighbor. I was pleased that this neighborhood already seemed so friendly, a marked contrast from the old one.
It turned out that the new neighbor was really not a resident but the fiance of the homeowner. It was one of those situations where he practically lived there already. In a short span of time we became pretty friendly with them. We went to dinner, had them over to hang out, went camping, etc. They helped us with things and vice versa. Unfortunately, things slowly went south, as these things sometimes do. It became clear that we were better as friendly neighbors rather than friends and neighbors. For the last couple of years I have rarely spoken to them, though I say hello when I see them outside. My husband and the male portion of the couple (who is now the husband; they got married in our living room) have remained friendlier. In the last couple of weeks even that has come to an end.
Once upon a time, when we were still hanging out, they bought a drum set and placed it in our basement. They didn't play it often, but when they did it was with us. Then Chase joined a band and they began to practice weekly in our basement. The neighbors said it was fine for the band to use their drums. About a year and a half ago Chase switched bands. The new band uses our house for practice as well. The neighbors decided it was time to try to get rid of their drums so they tried to sell them to the drummer. When he turned them down they decided to take them back to their house. It was no skin off the drummer's nose as he had a couple of practice sets already. Well, after that, they began to complain about the noise when the band practiced. First it was Chase's guitar, then it was the vocals, then the drums, then the bass...You get the picture.
Band practice stopped for awhile after I had Connor and again at the end of the year as the bass player was switching bands. Now they've got a new bass player and the weekly practices have picked back up. They practice at 6:30 for about an hour and a half to two hours. I can assure you it's not terribly loud. The kids and I are able to eat, play, read books, talk on the phone, or watch tv during practice. The neighbor started leaving messages complaining about the noise about a month ago, and Chase sent him an email asking what we could do to make this better because there had to be a solution that would please everyone. In response, the neighbor has called the cops the last two practices.
The cops have been nice, the same guy came tonight when he heard the call. Unfortunately he didn't have the decibel measuring thingamabob with him so he couldn't tell us if we were within the legal limit. He is going to come back during next weeks practice to measure the noise. I guess that will give us a better idea of what our options are. To say we are frustrated would be a gross understatement. We are trying very hard to be the bigger person in this situation but it's difficult when faced with such pettiness.
There is so much more I could say, but it would serve no real purpose. We feel, rather strongly, that this is their way of getting back at us for anything and everything we've done to (unintentionally) anger them. They also are the type of people who want to bring others down to their level of unhappiness. Chase is extremely angry. We have been quite accommodating in the past in regards to the noise they generated (motorcycles idling outside our bedroom window at 8 on the weekends). Why can they not do the same? Ugh.
I know that there is much bigger stuff going on out there, that in the whole scheme of things this is minor. Sometimes it feels good to rant a bit, though, just to have it said so you can let it go. I'm trying to let this go so that I can focus my energy on things that actually matter. Wish me luck!
7 comments:
Don't get me started on neighbours.
Sounds reasonable to have the noise measured though.
*Had you considered soundproofing?
* hiring a cheap venue for weekly practice?
We have the guy next door hosing the metal fence at 5:50 a.m on a Sunday. He has kept our babies awake for four years straight with parties under their windows, and I literally want to stab him in the eyes with a blunt, burning knife.
How's that for spiritual?
Good fences make good neighbors, right?!
Our neighbors (who were renting) got busted by a DEA task force at 4 AM one morning. The cops stormed the house out of a moving fan and then hauled out WHEELBARROWS of drugs and guns. All while three kids were living with them! AND WE HAD NO IDEA!!
The homeowner now employs a management company to vet his renters prior to them moving in. We now have a family with three kids under the age of 10 living there now. The parents aren't the nicest of people (I doubt we'll have them over for dinner or anything!) but a lot better than drug dealers!
Yesterday when I read your post about neighbors, I couldn't decide what to say except that I agree that they can be difficult. I try to be a good neighbor, but I go ballistic very quickly when I feel they take advantage. I seldom have to do this in my current neighborhood, but I won't get started on my last neighborhood. I shall restrain myself and I admire your patience but I'm afraid I couldn't match it. I would think, for myself, that a drum set is a red flag. I can understand why people would want to be in a 55 Plus neighborhood at my age because unsupervised kids can make a community filled with unhappy campers.
I've had my share of unsociable neighbours too Whitney. Only recently my husband had to put a note on the door of the apartment upstairs because he was making a helluva lot of noise between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m !! We couldn't work out what the noise was. At first we thought it might be married relations! but the pace was so fast that we decided he would have to be superman to carry that speed through to the end. Next we thought it might be a trampoline. I would love to get a ladder and look through the window and see exactly what it is he was doing.
Since the note, it has been a lot quieter. I think he must have moved 'it' into a different room or something, but I remain intrigued.
Can they practice at another band member's house?
Of course, giving in could set a precident where they feel they can run your life...
It seems obvious that the band practice isn't the problem at all, but the lack of participation by the complainant in this case. They probably really miss your friendship and feel the loss.
People can be petty for sure! Sorry this happened to you!
It's amazing how petty people can be, Whitney. I really feel they will find something else to complain about if you come in under the decibel limit. It will be good to know, however, whether you are "legal" or not.
It's hard to live around some jerks, though. Looking forward to hearing the resolution of this one. We are fortunate to live in a quiet apartment complex.
I have no advice ...... I am in a unique situation, since I am the 'cop' and have to set the rules here in the kampground. There are always those who feel they are above the rules and those who just want to pick at every little thing. Must be why one group refers to me as the Nazi Bitch. Sometimes I feel like a grade school teacher trying to put forth a seating chart that agrees with everyone's needs.
Seems the problem you are having has very little to do with any noise generated by the band and more to do with the death of a friendship.
Post a Comment